Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cullination Royalty: Daredevil Part 1

WELCOME TO ANOTHER EXCITING INSTALLMENT OF CULLINATION ROYALTY!

DAREDEVIL

Daredevil is one of my all time favorite comic book heroes!  At first, I was a little hesitant to try it out.  But for an entire week I only read good things about Daredevil stories.  In fact, I wouldn't even look it up.  I would see someone mention Daredevil randomly on some kind of online discussion forum.  What finally got me to read a Daredevil graphic novel was when I read a comment on one of these forums.  He said "The only thing bad about Daredevil is that the comic only comes out once a week."  After reading that comment I decided to read my very first Daredevil story.  So, I went to my local comic book store and bought Daredevil: Father.  After opening the front cover, I couldn't put it down.  I was hooked on Daredevil.  After I read Father, I started reading other popular Daredevil stories such as, Daredevil: Visionaries, The Man Without Fear, and Daredevil: Born Again.  I loved this character and immediately thought how underrated he was.

The story of Daredevil is like this.  Matt Murdoch had a father who was a boxer.  "Battling" Jack Murdoch was his name.  Jack made a deal with a couple of bad people.  These bad people paid off Jack's opponents to take a dive so that Jack can become famous and then lose to one of their men.  However, Jack didn't want to lose.  His young son, Matt, was watching in the crowd.  Jack decided to fight his heart out!  The "bad people" didn't like that.  Although Jack still lost the fight...he was killed in a dark alley for not obeying orders.  Because this is a comic book hero's origin tale, the boy has to watch his father die in front of his eyes.  Matt was so scared that he ran away into the street and pushed a blind man (irony?)  Matt's crazy episode caused a truck to hit a radioactive barrel and hit Matt right in the eyes causing him to go blind.  Matt woke up in a hospital bed where he felt a nun's cross necklace thus officially converting Matt into a born again Christian.  After he recovered, Matt took his father's old yellow robe and made a costume out of it and became ....(drum roll)...Daredevil!

Once Matt Murdoch grew up, he began a law firm with his colleague, Foggy Nelson.  In all the time that they were partners Matt some how kept his secret from Foggy.  Through out Daredevil's career, he is known to have a few romances.  The most popular was with Electra.  What a great (and unusual) couple, huh?

In my opinion, Daredevil is pretty much Marvel's answer to Batman.  Think about it.  Bruce Wayne and Matt Murdoch watched their family get murdered when they were just a youngin'.  They both then wanted to seek revenge.  They like to come out at night and wear dark colors.  Both of their careers are filled with tragedy.  Even their stories have some what of a detective aspect to it.  Face it!  Daredevil is pretty much like Batman.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I love Batman.  I also love Daredevil.  The only difference between them is that Batman gets a lot of attention (some might thing too much attention) while Daredevil gets barely any attention at all!  That's just plain wrong!  Wrong, I tell you! 


So what do you think about this edition of Royalty?  Sound off in the comment section below!  And remember that we always take suggestions.  So email me at shawn@cullination.net if you have an idea for anything Cullination or want to tell us how awesome we are or how much you hate us.  Or if you just want to say hi...I hate talking to myself.  So for now my rant is over, and come back on Tuesday for Part 2 of Daredevil's Cullination Royalty!

By: Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment