Sunday, April 15, 2012

POKEMON HEARTGOLD/SOULSILVER REVIEW


POKEMON HEARTGOLD AND SOULSILVER REVIEW
ORIGINAL SYSTEM: NINTENDO DS
MY OVERALL RATING: 8.6

I was nine years old when I first played Pokemon Gold Version.  I was very intrigued by everything about it (especially because nine years old are easily impressed by everything) and thus…was addicted.  I spent years playing that game trying to catch every single pokemon for both self worthiness and bragging rights (insert evil laugh here).  Fast forward ten years later.  I find out Nintendo was making a remake.  I literally flipped my desk (not literally.. . Another evil laugh!) Regardless that I was almost twenty years old…. I had to have this game!  Though I couldn’t help but think if the game will live up to its original counter part.  ;D

The game starts off just like any other Pokemon game.  The professor has memory loss and asks for your name, tries to teach you how to play the game but instead bores you to death.  Then you choose your first life partner...I mean Pokemon.  Your choices are:


CHIKORITA: A pure grass type and final evolution is Meganium.  Has the best Special Defense of the three and only decent offense, but is the most balanced with the rest of its stats.  Chikorita is a good choice if you want a challenge because most of the gym leaders in the Johto region are super effective against it. 


CYNDAQUIL: A pure fire type and final evolution is Typhlosion.  Cyndaquil is by far one of my personal favorites in the game.  He has the best Special Attack and Speed of the three starters, although its HP and Defense are the worst of the three.  Cyndaquil is good for beginners because it is super effective against most of the Gym Leaders in Johto.


TOTODILE: A pure water type and final evolution is Feraligatr.  It has the best Attack, Defense, and HP of the three starters and the worst Special Stats and Speed.  




So those are the starters in HeartGold and SoulSilver.  Once you acquire one of them you officially begin your journey to be a Pokemon Master!!!  This is also the very first game since Yellow Version where a pokemon is out of their pokeball and walking behind you (so not checking out your butt).  I personally think that adds a little bit more to the feel of the game...makes things interesting to see this Pokemon follow you around.  This game also introduced the Pokewalker.  A device used to not only get a little active or look more like a nerd but it's used to level your Pokemon even further while you are away from your game.  I personally did not like the Pokewalker.  I found it a bit "too much".  And not worth my time.  In addition, I like the old fashion approach of training Pokemon....beat the crap out of other Pokemon....I mean make them faint.  That is the only way I see fit for gaining experience for your Pokemon.

One thing that EVERYONE enjoys about this game is the fact that after you get 8 badges you can continue your game and get 8 more.  If you don't enjoy that part of the game...you're this guy :
FOREVER ALONE

Even after getting your 16th badge (and defeating the final trainer) you get to unlock more areas to explore and track down legendary Pokemon from other generations such as Groudon and Kyrogue, which is an interesting add-on from the original Gold and Silver versions.

Now time for the rating....

GRAPHICS: the graphics of HeartGold and SoulSilver are just like any other Pokemon game...pretty good, but for some reason feel like they could do more with them....8


AUDIO: The Pokemon that you start fighting still sound like they just took the noise from Gold and Silver, which was fine back then but now they should have stepped that up.  However, the music when you go from town to town is still very catchy and enjoyable....8


PLOT AND GAMEPLAY: I don't think I need to explain much here.  The plot and gameplay is still amazing.  Who doesn't like that you can have 16 badges instead of 8?  You can catch wild Pokemon from generations that take place after Gold and Silver....10


CONTROLS: The controls are simple and very basic.  Easy for any one and any age to pick up and start playing...9


DIFFICULTY: The game can be a little difficult but usually isn't....8


MISCELLANEOUS: No bugs or glitches that I have found....9


OVERALL: 8.6

By: Shawn



No comments:

Post a Comment